Marriage Licenses in NH

This information has been summarized and is available in greater detail from the Town of Jackson Website.

First off, if you are planning a wedding in Jackson, know that you DO NOT have to get your marriage license here. You can get a license at any New Hampshire town office.

If you do it in Jackson, “the application process will take about 45 minutes so please plan to arrive about an hour prior to office closing hours.” –

The license is valid for 90 days from the issued date.

Effective January 1, 2010 same-gender marriages will be allowed and civil unions will no longer be permitted. All New Hampshire civil unions completed by December 31, 2009 can be converted to a marriage after January 1, 2010 at no additional cost to the individuals.

Application – both parties must appear in person and sign the application. Armed forces personnel may forward an affidavit prepared by armed services or legal representative and send to town clerk if they can not appear in person. Falsification of any fact may make the applicant subject to criminal prosecution.

Blood Test – New Hampshire does not require a blood test

Document Requirements –
1. Birth certificate required for each individual
2. Certified copy of a death certificate of former spouse, if applicable;
3. Certified copy of a final divorce decree, if applicable;
4. Certified copy of an annulment, if applicable.

Fee for the marriage license is $45.00 payable at the time of the application. Copies of the marriage certificate once the ceremony is complete are $12.00 for the first copy and $8.00 for additional copies when ordered together. These can be ordered through the mail (see address below).

Residence Requirements – None – Couples wishing to be married in NH may complete application regardless of residence.

Solemnization – In NH marriage may be perform by :

  • A justice of the peace
  • A minister of the gospel in NH ordained according to the usage of his denomination, residing in NH, and is in regular standing with the denomination.
  • A minister within his parish, residing outside NH, but having a pastoral charge wholly or partly in NH
  • Jewish Rabbis who are citizens of the U.S. and resident in this state
  • Quakers
  • Deacon in the Roman Catholic Church ordained according to the usage of his denomination:
  • Clergymen who are not ordained and non-resident ministers or Jewish Rabbis, after being licensed by the Secretary of State. The application for the special license is on the NH Secretary of State Web site. Reference this web site for additional information and clarification on other persons permitted to perform marriages within the state.

Validity Period of the license – A license may be issued the same day of the application, provided all signatures and statutory requirements are met. The license is valid for 90 days from the date of filing.

Waiver – Party Under Age – When either of the parties is under 18 but meets the minimum age requirements ( Female 13 – 17 and male 14 – 17) he or she may request permission to marry from a justice of the superior court or a judge of probate of the county in which one of the applicants resides. The request shall be in writing and the parents or guardian of the applicant shall join in the request. No age waiver shall be granted to persons below the age of consent (18) if both parties are nonresident. No age waiver is permitted for individuals under 18 wishing to join in a same gender marriage.

Restrictions – Marriage is not permitted in NH between people who are related by blood as first cousins or in any more direct lineage.

Shortening Time Period – On application to a justice of the superior court or justice of probate within the county where the proposed marriage is to be solemnized.

For more information on contact the Town Clerk, 54 Main Street, Jackson, NH 03846 or call (603) 383 – 6248.